Tour Performance Golf Balls
Tour caliber golf balls are the most advanced golf balls on the market today.They feature multi-layer construction consisting of three to five layers (core, mantel, cover, etc.) which allow the ball to perform best with all clubs. Some golf balls have multiple mantel layers to provide feel and higher launch angles as the loft of the club becomes lower. The Urethane cover of a tour ball may be the most important feature. Urethane is soft and creates friction between the ball and the club faces. This becomes increasingly important as the player gets to their highest lofted clubs, creating the most amount of spin and the lowest launch for the best green side control possible. Combining these features give players of all skill levels the greatest opportunity to score from tee to green. Low spin and great ball speeds off the driver and control and feel around the greens make these golf the most complete in the sport.
Below are examples of Tour balls:
- New Titleist ProV1 offers total performance and features longer distance, very low long game spin, penetrating flight, even more Drop-and-Stop™ greenside control and softer feel.
- Soft cast urethane elastomer cover which increases greenside spin and control.
- Fast casing layer adds speed and lowers long game spin.
- Reformulated proprietary 2.0 ZG process core increases distance.
- NEW spherically-Tiled 388 tetrahedral dimple design delivers a penetrating and consistent ball flight.
- New Titleist ProV1x offers total performance and features longer distance, high trajectory, low long game spin, increased Drop-and-Stop™ greenside control and softer feel.
- Utilizes the same Soft cast urethane elastomer cover and fast casting layer as ProV1 which increases greenside spin and control with increased speed and lower long game spin.
- The reformulated proprietary 2.0 ZG process core is smaller in the ProV1x as compared to the proV1 which increases distance with a higher ball flight for maximum carry yardage.
- The ProV1x is slightly firmer with spherically-Tiled 348 tetrahedral dimple design delivers a high and consistent ball flight with steeper descent.
- 5-layer construction for complete control from tee to green.
- Cast urethane cover with the new tour flight dimple pattern unlocks the next level of aerodynamics while promoting maximum carry distances and a steep angle of descent for extra stopping power, especially on long irons.
- A larger and more reactive core is the centerpiece of the new TP5. It is designed to store and release energy more efficiently, delivering a spring-like effect that results in faster ball speeds and increased distance compared to its predecessor.
- The proprietary Speed-Layer System consists of four increasingly stiff layers to produce more ball speed. The result is more carry distance off the tee, more control in the wind, and more spin around the greens.
- Same 5-layer construction as TP5, but with firmer feel.
- According to TaylorMade, the TP5x is the fastest and longest Tour ball they offer.
- It features a 5-layer design with four increasingly stiff layers enclosed in cast urethane. It delivers unmatched performance off the tee and on the approach, without sacrificing feel on the scoring shots.
- TaylorMade has added a softer cast urethane cover to increase green side spin and control.
- TP5x also incorporates the Speed-Layer System for maximum control.
- Chrome Soft
- Lowest compression of the tour category creating the softest feeling Tour ball.
- Has a large Graphene-Infused Dual SoftFast Core For Increased Distance (graphene is an extremely thin carbon material roughly 150 times stronger than steel).
- The large inner core creates higher launch and lower spin. And the thinner, firmer outer core is reinforced with Graphene for better durability and more wedge spin.
- New proprietary Ionomer blend creates more efficient energy transfer from the Dual SoftFast Core for faster ball speed. The compounded additives improve consistency and durability, and the stiff mantle allows for ideal spin on wedge shots.
- Callaway has given the Chrome Soft a thinner and more resilient cover for increased ball speeds and lower spin on full shots while maintaining high spin and soft feel around the greens.
- The NEW Aero Design dimple pattern reduces drag for increased overall distance with a nice high trajectory.
- Chrome Soft X
- A firmer lower spinning ball compared to the Chrome Soft.
- Callaway has produced a NEW high-speed dual mantel system for maximum ball speed and consistent spin. The Soft Inner Mantle and a highly resilient Firm Outer Mantle work together to generate increased ball speed off the club face.
- Chromesoft X uses the same Durable and resilient cover as the Chrome Soft, giving the Chrome Soft X consistent green side control.
- NEW Chrome Soft X LS (Low Spin)
- Chromesoft X LS is designed to be Callaway’s longest ball ever produced.
- Providing the lowest spin and most penetrating ball flight.
- X LS consists of similar technology as the Chrome Soft X with a slightly firmer feel.
- 3-Piece Urethane construction
- Large soft core for finesse shots around the green and unbelievable feel.
- NEW spin skin cover with slide-ring material. On top of an extra thin, thermoplastic urethane cover, Srixon adds their Spin Skin coating with SeRM This micro-engineered material features strengthened molecules with moveable cross-links that stretch and bend without breaking. This allows for greater friction on wedge and irons shots maximizing greenside spin.
- New 338 Speed-dimple pattern, the ball flies through the air with less drag for less movement in windy conditions and more lift for better descent on approaches into the green.
- Z-Star XV
- 4-Piece Urethane construction
- New reformulated inner core boosts overall resiliency for a faster snap off the clubface. It translates to blinding ball speed and extreme distance with the driver.
- Firmer feel than Z-Star for a slightly higher launch and lower spin.
- The XV utilizes the same 338 Speed-Dimple pattern and the new spin-skin cover with slide ring technology.
These are a few examples of Tour level golf balls on the market. Other companies that offer tour balls with multi-layered construction and a urethane cover are; Wilson Staff, Bridgestone, Volvik, and Mizuno Golf.
From tee to green there is no better choice than a tour caliber golf ball. The technology that exists in these products is second to none and can benefit any level of golfer. If the Price is justifiable, play a multi-layered construction tour ball and bomb it off the tee, hit it high with the mid & long irons, have great feel and spin in the short game. With these characteristics you will be sure to be the best version of yourself. Test them and see which one fits you.
Performance Golf Balls
The performance golf ball category is for the player that wants a quality golf ball that will be consistent enough for their game, but not break the bank. These are generally your 3-piece construction golf balls offering a good mix of launch and distance off the tee with solid spin around the green. One of the big things to look at when choosing a performance ball is the cover. There are typically three cover material options: surlyn (plastic), ionomer and urethane. Urethane cover golf balls offer the closest thing to a tour ball in terms of performance.
Here are some examples:
Titleist: Tour Speed (TPU cover) & Tour Soft (Surlyn)
The Tour Speed golf ball is for the player that wants a multilayer golf ball with a thermoplastic urethane cover. This ball is designed for great distance and precise short game control.
Tour Soft is the ball for the player looking for long shots off of the tee while still having good control around the greens. This ball features the largest core Titleist offers.
Callaway: ERC Soft (Hybrid Cover featuring PARALOID)
This ball is designed to be very long, but also provide a soft feel. This ball is designed with a new Hybrid cover from Callaway. This multilayer ball is designed to be long off the tee with high launch while still providing excellent green side control. This ball also has the Triple Track alignment aid.
TaylorMade: Tour Response (Urethane) and Soft Response (Ionomer)
Tour Response is designed like a tour ball, but at the performance price point. Tour Response features a 100% cast urethane cover on a 3-piece golf ball. This ball is designed for long shots off the tee, while keeping exceptional green side control.
The Soft Response uses an ionomer cover and has a very soft feel. This ball is designed for high launch and low spin for long shots off the tee, while also providing good control around the green. This ball is for the player that wants a super soft feel and long distance with a higher ball flight.
Bridgestone: E12 Contact (Surlyn)
The E12 uses contact force dimple design for a more efficient energy transfer from the club. This ball is meant for straight distance with a very soft core for great feel on all shots. The aerodynamics of the contact force dimples and the sidespin reducing mantle and core help reduce and slice and hook shots on full swings.
Srixon: Q Star Tour (Urethane with SeRM) & Q Star (Surlyn with SeRM)
Q Star Tour is for the player looking for great distance off the tee and great green side control with a very soft feel. This ball features the FastLayer core which is the largest in its class. The Urethane cover with SeRM provides a very soft cover that gives some more bite around the green.
Q Star also features the FastLayer Core and the New Spin Skin with SeRM. This is for the player that still wants the long distance and consistency around the green while saving some money.
All of the performance golf balls sound like they are all trying to do the same thing, but some definitely have their advantages with the cover. Needless to say though, these golf balls really provide a great amount of bang for your buck. All you need to do is give them a try and find the right one for your game.
Value Golf Balls
When choosing a golf ball there’s always the question of performance vs price? Most people would say they want good performance but they don’t want to pay $50 for a dozen balls. The “value” golf ball is a perfect fit for this kind of player. A ball that will be long off the tee and have a soft feel around the greens but doesn’t hurt your soul when you lose it in the woods. Most of the golf balls in this category are of a 2-piece construction, meaning there’s a core and a cover. Typically there are two styles of balls in the category; High compression and low compression. High compression balls have a slightly firmer core which gives higher ball speed off of the driver, but lacks in feel around the greens. Low compression golf balls have a slightly softer core giving them great feel around the greens but slightly less energy transfer off of the driver.
Examples of these golf balls:
- TruTouch Core, low compression, fast TruTouch core generates low spin for long distance.
- TruFlex cover, for very soft feel around the greens
- High Speed Compression Core: Maximum ball speed with incredibly soft feel
- Low Compression
- Soft cover for greenside control
Wilson Staff DUO Soft+
- VelocitiCOR, designed to give the highest possible energy transfers from a 2 piece ball
- Very soft compression
- Larger and Softer core for faster balls speeds and soft feel
- Soft seamless cover
Srixon Soft Feel
- Softer Compression
- 2 piece construction
There are plenty of great options in this category, simply find the ball that works best for your game and get out on the course!